Nominations are open for “Quarry Life Award 2018” that targets innovative approaches to study and boost biodiversity at quarry sites and aims to raise awareness about mining ecology.
The Quarry Life Award is an international research competition for the promotion and education about biodiversity in quarries. This competition, organized by HeidelbergCement, now enters its fourth edition.
To participate in this competition, students, graduates, researchers, NGO’s and local communities have to submit a project to one of the six available categories. From January to September 2018, HeidelbergCement will open the doors of its quarries in 26 participating countries – with Benin, Burkina Faso, Egypt, France, Italy and Morocco joining for the first time.
Types of Streams
- The Research stream focuses on scientific projects that increase knowledge of mining ecology and lead to improved biodiversity, landscape, or water management. It is open to academics, scientists, experts and NGOs. The available categories in this stream are:
- biodiversity management
- habitat & species research
- beyond quarry borders
- The Community stream focuses on engagement and outreach projects that help the quarry to better connect with its local stakeholders. Furthermore it will raise awareness and help to educate about biodiversity in quarries. This stream is open to everyone – individuals, students, school classes, NGO’s and local communities. The available categories in this stream are:
- biodiversity & education
- connecting quarries and local communities
- student class project
- At national level, winners will be granted prizes of 2 500EUR and 5 000EUR for best projects in the research stream and of 2 500EUR and 5 000EUR for best projects in the community stream.
- At international level, the best projects in each of the 6 categories will be awarded with a prize of 10000 EUR each. The best project overall will receive no less than 30000 EUR.
HeidelbergCement invites researchers, students and citizens to submit biodiversity projects for its quarries and gravel pits around the world.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply via Quarry Life Award 2018