Deadline: 31 December 2017
The Arab Council for the Social Sciences (ACSS) is seeking applications for its Small Grants Program (SGP) on the themes “Youth” and “Urban Spatial Inequalities.” The Program is a funding opportunity that aims to support scholars and professionals in the Arab region undertaking four kinds of activities: conference presentations, internships, Small on small-scale projects, and organizing workshops.
This competition is funded by grants provided to ACSS by the Ford Foundation, the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), and the International Development Small Centre (IDRC).
The program funds four kinds of activities:
- Travel grants (conferences/workshops)
- Internship support
- Organizing workshops
- Pilot studies
- Dissemination events
Small grants of $4,000 on average will be available to individual Arab researchers and activists residing in the Arab region, and whose work focuses on Arab societies.
- Nationality/Residence: Applicants must be citizens of an Arab League member state or nationals of an Arab country (defined as long-term residents, even if they do not hold citizenship as in the case of refugees or stateless residents). Applicants must reside in the Arab region. This program does not fund applicants who reside, work, or study outside the region. Priority will be given to scholars and professionals who are marginalized, at risk, or dispossessed.
- Educational Degree: Applicants must hold at least a Master’s degree in a core social science or a field allied to the themes of the Program. The core social science fields are anthropology, demography, economics, education, political science, psychology and sociology. Allied disciplines include architecture, cultural studies, development studies, gender studies, geography, law, and urban planning/studies.
- Age: Preference will be given to applicants under the age of 40.
- ACSS grantees (principal and co-investigators) who have benefited previously from another ACSS grant are only eligible if their grants were closed one year prior to submitting their application for the Small Grants Program.
Eligible Countries: Algeria, Bahrain, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must apply online via ACSS Small Grants Program